Friday, January 28, 2022

Women’s Tennis Association suspends all tournaments in China amid Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai concern

The Women’s Tennis Association has announced the suspension of all tournaments in China amid concern for Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai. Peng, aged 35, disappeared from public view for three weeks after accusing a top Chinese official of sexual assault.

WTA chief Steve Simon said he had serious doubts that Peng was free, safe, and not subject to intimidation. The WTA has repeatedly called for a full investigation into Peng’s claims.

There was a widespread concern for Peng after she accused former Vice-Premier Zhang Gaoli of sexual assault. She said she was safe and well during a video call last month with the president of the International Olympic Committee, Thomas Bach. However, the WTA said the video was “insufficient evidence” of Peng’s safety.

The suspension also includes tournaments in Hong Kong.

- Advertisement -spot_img
Latest news
Related news